The “Selfishness” of Self-Care?
Perhaps the biggest thing to get in the way of self-care though, is the nagging feeling we’re not supposed to be spending so much time on ourselves. After all, isn’t it pretty self-centered to be worrying about yourself?
Not so. Writer and activist Parker Palmer perhaps put it best:
Self-care is never a selfish act - it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to true self and give the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch.
In short, only when we’re truly at our best, do we have the ability to give to those around us. Our best work is made possible by good health and a keen intellect. It’s here where we do our best work. There isn’t a responsibility in the world that can be met if you don’t have the health and ability to do the work.
Still, struggling with the idea of self-care? Then consider this last very important point. Self-care is what keeps you around to make sure you get stuff done. Without self-care, our work suffers. So do we. Without proper self-care, it can be argued you’re taking years off your life.
Maybe self-care doesn’t quite sound so selfish anymore when put in those terms.
As you read through this next section, I want you to think about what you’re reading. Imagine the year is laid out for you. See how the changes come together to form a picture of a new, and rather different you, one that experiences life a little differently than what you had previously.
With good mental and physical health you will:
- …have no trouble thinking.
- …never have a sick day.
- …do your best work every single day.
- …can't wait to start the day.
- …looks forward to what comes next with enthusiasm.
- …is articulate and well-spoken.
- …never misses a deadline.
- …enjoys a great social life.
- …is in a great mood.
- …is patient with those around you.
- …handles complex tasks with ease.
- …is on top of things.
- ...feels like you can keep going all day long.
- …has no trouble making decisions.
- …is relaxed and calm.
- …looks and feels great.
- …follows up in a timely manner.
- …always has something going on.
- …is full of enthusiasm, every single day.
Sound pretty good? Then what are you waiting for?